Shout Out to Mrs. Strout!

Today is a big day for me! I have just completed the last leg to my Master of Arts in Teaching Elementary Education degree: student teaching. I prayed a lot about my placement, and God answered that prayer in a very good way. Every part of this placement addressed gaps in my knowledge and ability level, and the teacher I was working with, Nancy Strout, was such an amazing example and teacher to me. Her strengths were my exact weaknesses, so through her teaching I was able to be stretched and grow as a teacher.

This was no accident! God cares about the details in our lives. Tonight my pastor was talking about Joshua’s prayer to God, asking Him to make the sun and the moon stand still to give him a longer day time to completely defeat God’s enemies, and God did it! (Joshua 10) As I was praising God for this year and completing this degree, I realized in a way God had extended my time of preparation and learning, similar to Joshua. Last summer I prayed that God would give me one year’s experience of teaching this year, so I could be prepared to teach over seas. A week after I began praying, I was given the opportunity to teach as a long term substitute in a 4th grade classroom through December, which was exactly the amount of time I was free to teach before student teaching. This semester I was placed with a 2nd grade class as student teacher. I am graduating with basically a year’s experience under my belt, which is exactly what I had prayed for! That is a gift from the Lord, and feels a lot like an extended day. If I have learned anything from these experiences, it is all for God's glory! I had almost no involvement in planning the places I worked at or the people I worked with; that was all God.

I am going to miss this class so much. This has been a unique experience, as student and teacher rolled into one title. The learning curve has been high, and I cannot imagine a more perfect class to prepare with. It was so difficult saying goodbye to my 4th grade class, and now I feel the same way about saying goodbye to this 2nd grade class. As a new teacher, I’m hoping this particular difficulty of saying goodbye never changes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lion of God Missions

What Waiting Looks Like

My Strength is from God

Oh Come Let Us Adore Him

Throwing Out the Fleece – Part 1

Showing Our Fruit

My First Love

It's Been Awhile

Relationally Speaking

Feelings