The Little Things

Philippians 4:4-7
4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. 
5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; 
do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 
7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Leaving home, my family, and my comfort zone gave me some major feelings of anxiety. To be honest, I was struggling to keep a spirit of thanksgiving as I was praying to the Lord for peace. Then things started to go wrong. Due to storms, my plane landed about 45 minutes away from airport and informed us that we were going to have to wait out the storms…for a few HOURS. I was shocked! I was going to miss my last connecting flight, and I am on a deadline.  

That morning for my devotions I had read 2 Chronicles 20, which talks about an impossible war for Israel. God let them know that even though they could not win, He would win the battle for them. So when the battle happened, Israel stood there watching as their enemies turned on each other and completely wiped out their own entire army! God had completely won the battle by turning the enemy on themselves! 

You may see where this is going. In my very earthly mindset, I earnestly started praying that God would delay my connecting flight so I would not miss it (similar to the enemy defeating themselves for my benefit). As I was praying though, God gave me an overwhelming sense to not get my hopes up, because His answer was “no”. I smiled to myself, thankful that He told me at the beginning so I wouldn’t be disappointed when I got to the airport. Though right after that, I got a call letting me know my flight had in fact been delayed!

I got extremely excited, yet I was skeptical after what God had just revealed to me. After a long wait in a relatively angry mob, the flight was cancelled, and so began the panic and stampedes. It was at this point that I began noticing a series of little blessings that kept happening. 

  1. As everyone stood in line/mobbed (angry, yelling, cutting, swearing), it hit me that I could call the airline from my place in line. I stood in line for over an hour, which gave me plenty of time to book one of the first available flights to my destination. I found out when I reached the front of the line that the next available flight was 3 days away! I am so thankful God prompted me to call versus wait for assistance, otherwise I would have to be dealing with some major problems right now.
  2. Next, I had failed to eat anything since I began the trip (a bad traveling habit of mine), and it so happened that my grandmother had bought me tons of peanut M&Ms and cheese cracker packets. I hadn’t planned on packing any food, and I’m so thankful she sent it with me! By the time I was free to get food, every restaurant in the building was closed for the night. I plan to eat like a hobbit today to make up for it, but I was thankful for some food to sustain me until restaurants reopened.
  3. I ended up getting sick, which is also something that doesn’t usually happen to me. My mom had encouraged me to pack pain pills, which I had forgotten to pack until last minute. I didn’t have time, so I just threw them in my carry-on, which I never bring, but when I got sick I happened to have exactly the pill I needed to feel better! I think everyone in this airport should be blessed and thankful for this! (I’d hate to have to be sick and grumpy to everyone). :) God provides.
  4. The first flight that was available to me was the next day, which meant a night spent in the baggage claim area. Apparently this area only has one plug, and I happened to sit right under it! People were swarming anything that looked like a plug, as everyone’s phone was dying, but thankfully God had provided my own plug that I was able to keep my computer and phone charged with, and therefore be able to keep in contact with my family and friends waiting for me at my end destination. So thankful for this, as traveling alone is lonely, and my parents would have been extremely worried if my phone had died. 
  5. For the last blessing I'll mention now, my book bag zipper refuses to stay closed tight since my ukulele is sticking out the top. I was struggling lugging around my ukulele as another carry-on (2 bags plus a ukulele), but then I was also struggling to not spill everything in my book bag when I tried to carry my ukulele in my book bag, sticking out the top. Then I remembered I always carry a carabiner! I used my extremely exhausted brain for some critical thinking skills, and connected the zipper with the ukulele inside my bag. I feel very relieved and happy walking around this massive airport without all of my stuff falling apart. 

These are little things, that maybe most people wouldn’t even notice. But they were exactly what I needed to keep praying with a heart of thanksgiving! God knows what He’s doing…. I may be over 24 hours into my trip and still 15 hours away from my destination, but my attitude is better now than it was when nothing was going wrong! To top it off, I just drank the biggest cup of coffee I have seen in a long time, which basically means I now am experiencing super hero powers.

Thank you for your prayers! Please keep praying, as I still have a lot to do from now until I actually get to Mexico on Saturday. 

Comments

  1. God has provided for Ariel and for us as parents. I fell asleep in the middle of late night texting and woke early this morning, 4:30am, to hear that she had the presence of mind as a well seasoned traveler to manage a difficult situation. God showed me that she is ready and capable for this journey.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lion of God Missions

What Waiting Looks Like

My Strength is from God

Throwing Out the Fleece – Part 1

Showing Our Fruit

Oh Come Let Us Adore Him

My First Love

It's Been Awhile

Feelings

Relationally Speaking