Final Days

Los Delfines
 It has been so long since I’ve added an update! The end of the year has been a constant state of hectic, as most end of the school year events seem to be. One of the fun busy weekends consisted of two day-outings. The first outing was with my class. We went together to a nut tree farm called Los Delfines, or the Dolphins literally. They use the water that they water the nut trees with as a small water park, and then the water is pumped out to the trees. It is an excellent way to make money off of water 2 times over for a desert farm!

I find it hard to stay in teacher mode when swimming, fishing, fighting with water guns, and everything else that goes along with summer is available. I’m not sure who had more fun: the kids or me. I love being around water, and being able to spend it with my class made the day feel perfect!
Tio Albert's

The next day, I volunteered to “help” out with the 8th grade day outing, which was at another water park called Tio Albert’s. I put “help” in quotes because I’m not sure if they actually needed my help, but I was up for another fun day! It also was nice getting to know the 8th graders better, most of which are siblings of my students.

The next big event was a high school production of Pygmalion, the original play of My Fair Lady. I love plays, so I went twice: once to the dress rehearsal and then also the opening day production. I almost went again to the final showing because the high schoolers did such an amazing job!


A lot of our school subjects have been wrapping up in class, which has given me some free time to do more fun educational opportunities. On May 10th the entire school was encouraged to dress in purple or wear something purple to help raise awareness of perinatal strokes. One of the students in my class has a cousin who had a stroke while still in the womb, and so I had a blast going all out with purple and learning more about the condition. It was a wonderful learning experience for me as well as the class. Something else we’ve been doing is a mock trial case where each of my students has a role to play in a trial case against the wolf for murdering and eating two of the three little pigs. Our court trial will be this coming Tuesday, and I’m looking forward to seeing the verdict the jury comes up with after hearing from the lawyers and witnesses.

To end this post, I can now openly talk about a big event for our class last Friday. A mom of one of my students contacted me a while back, and together we planned a huge surprise birthday party! I am thrilled with how it turned out! I came up with a partially true reason for students to come to my apartment for lunch on Friday, and thankfully the student in question did not suspect it was for her, though I'm sure she thought I was being very weird. Upon arrival she met with a big crowd of us, including her sweet mom, and we all began screaming, singing, clapping…. For the final party together with my class, I could not have asked for a more fun time. We played pin the horn on the unicorn, took tons of pictures in our “photo booth”, and then ended with a pop your balloon war and soccer.

I will be home in a week! I’m finding it hard to forget too, as my body is in panic mode. Weight gain, skin breakouts, and random bumps on the palms of my hands are just a few of the stress signs coming out, but I know it is just a sign of the times! I am familiar enough with moving now to start seeing recurring patterns caused by stress. One of the big things stressing me out is saying good-bye to my students. That is one reason why I am so thankful for these last few busy, but fun weeks together. I will never be able to forget this class. I will be praying for them as they figure out how to tame their wild leadership skills and grow and mature throughout junior high and high school. I love them with all my heart!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lion of God Missions

What Waiting Looks Like

My Strength is from God

Throwing Out the Fleece – Part 1

Showing Our Fruit

Oh Come Let Us Adore Him

My First Love

It's Been Awhile

Feelings

Relationally Speaking