Forgotten God

I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you.
John 16:7

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
Galatians 5:22-24

Forgotten God by Francis Chan
Here is another book that I have been trying to find time to post about recently. I have listened to the audio version of this book two times, and now I’m slowly reading it again in my spare time to digest some of the details even more. Something very close to my heart is truly following the God of the Bible and building a relationship with Him. I have seen so many holes in Christian living over the years: works based religion, hypocritical lifestyles, switching to a god that actually is not the God of the Bible, or just mediocrity in relationships with God.

Something, or Someone, seems to be missing a lot of the time from the Church in large, ministries, and relationships, and Francis Chan does an awesome job at Biblically talking about what we are missing. This has been such a challenge to my own walk with the Lord as I try to grow closer to Him and follow His direction in my life.


If we look like the world, than something is wrong. If we are true followers of the God of the Bible, the Spirit of God is living inside of us, meaning we should look like Him/very different from the world. Just as a simple example, if I told you that the spirit of Julie Andrews was living inside me, you would expect that to mean I could sing beautifully just like her! But, if I then proceeded to open my mouth and not be able to hold a tune, what would you think? You would think that the spirit of Julie Andrews was in fact not living inside me. Silly as it may sound, we do this to the Spirit of God all the time. There is a problem if we claim He lives in us, but we show no evidence of His work in our lives.

This book is full of Biblical meat for Christians craving to know God more intimately. You should read it!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lion of God Missions

What Waiting Looks Like

My Strength is from God

Throwing Out the Fleece – Part 1

Showing Our Fruit

Oh Come Let Us Adore Him

My First Love

It's Been Awhile

Relationally Speaking

Feelings