Relationship Status

James 4:8
 Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.

Zechariah 1:3
Therefore say to them, Thus declares the Lord of hosts: Return to me, says the Lord of hosts, and I will return to you, says the Lord of hosts.

Matthew 7:7
Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.

A lot of the responsibility for how close we are with God falls on us. There have been times of my life where I’ve looked at certain people who were so close with God and envied them or wondered how they did it. But, it is in my power to be closer to God. He has promised me that He will be as close to me as I want to be.

Working harder to look like a Christian, act like a Christian, or sound like a Christian was not the point of Christ’s sacrifice on the cross. A works based Christianity will eventually push people away from Christ. A relationship with Christ is truly what we need to change us, and His support, love, and guidance is worth more to me than all those other things that I chase after.

When it comes down to it, I cannot help someone grow closer to Christ unless they choose to draw closer to Him. I cannot expect to grow in my own walk with the Lord unless I choose Him over everything else in this world. Thankfully though, the moment I, or anyone else, chooses to return to Him, He has promised to return to us! We definitely are not following Christ for the reward, but I will say the reward of being close to Him should keep us coming back every time we fail Him and slip  way. An eternal relationship with Him is better than any temporal relationship here on earth, which is why relationships here on earth should be centered on growing closer to Him and not fulfilling fleshly desires.
  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lion of God Missions

What Waiting Looks Like

My Strength is from God

Throwing Out the Fleece – Part 1

Showing Our Fruit

Oh Come Let Us Adore Him

My First Love

It's Been Awhile

Feelings

Relationally Speaking